It´s Christmas and finally the all the Austrian villages are covered in fresh powder snow giving the last touch to the Winter Wonderland.
So don’t be late and join us in the beautiful winter sun! Perfectly groomed slopes, chocolate-box traditional ski villages, frozen lakes, rustic mountain huts and tasty tradional food are just waiting for you!
We wish you a merry Christmas with you families and friends and all the best in 2018!
Your SkiAustria Team
Image Copyright: © TVB Wilder Kaiser / Ludwig Mallaun
Not sure what to pack for your winter holiday?
So often people believe that they need to wear 15 layers to keep warm in the snow and during skiing – how wrong this is.
Yes the winter is cold but consider the following:
- Inside areas are strongly heated in winter, up to about 28 degrees in certain places, and also skiing is a strenuous exercise. So always dress in layers, which are easy to put on and take off and make sure you have a T shirt underneath.
- You will need proper ski clothing to protect yourself, either an one piece suit or dungarees and a long high collar jacket out of warm and weather proof material. You can purchase your ski outfit at various local stores, like Cape Union Mart (country wide), Rapid Sports (in Cape Town) and GoneSkiing, an one stop Ski & Snowboard Shop on William Nicol Drive in Johannesburg.
- Moon boots are another important item, but good waterproof cats or takkies will do the trick if necessary. Alternatively get yourself a pair of moonboots while you are there. They are not expensive and perfect for tobogganing and walking and having fun in the snow!
- Accessories like proper ski gloves, thick socks, headband and a good pair of sun glasses are a must. If you find the prices too high here, be assured that you will find many great bargains at fantastic quality on location.
- Do not ski without glasses! The glare of the snow, especially higher up and even more so when the sun shines will make you “snow blind” and that’s not fun!
- Wear a strong sun screen, even for those who frequent the beaches and think they are ‘sun proof’. The glare and intensity of the sun is different and you will burn! Also you need protection against the wind and cold. So use creams that help you to do that – that also counts for the guys.
- And last but not least… Don’t forget your swimsuits – there are indoor pools in almost every village.
Your SkiAustria Tours Team